Algerian police have announced what they describe as the largest drug seizure ever carried out in a single operation, recovering more than 30 kilograms of cocaine and over 10 million pregabalin capsules. Twenty-five suspects linked to an alleged international trafficking network were arrested and brought before a public prosecutor on Thursday, August 20, 2026.
According to Algerian authorities, the operation dismantled a major international network operating in western Algeria. Police estimate that around 50 people were involved in the alleged trafficking operation, although approximately half remain at large.
Investigation began in January
The investigation began in January 2026, according to a statement from Algerian police.
Authorities said Moroccan drug traffickers allegedly coordinated the operation from Morocco, relying on members of the network based in Dubai to manage and transfer funds. Suspected accomplices in France were also identified as part of the network.
Investigators reportedly tracked shipments arriving from the southern part of Algeria before carrying out a series of raids and arrests in several cities, including Oran, Algiers, Blida and Tipaza.
More than 10 million pregabalin capsules seized
The scale of the seizure is particularly significant. Police recovered 33 kilograms of cocaine, more than €100,000 in cash, around 20 vehicles and, most notably, more than 10 million pregabalin capsules.
Pregabalin is a medication normally prescribed to treat conditions including epilepsy and certain forms of nerve pain. It has increasingly been diverted for recreational use because of its psychoactive effects.
Algerian authorities have made several major pregabalin seizures in recent years. More than 43 million capsules were seized in the country last year, according to official figures.
25 suspects arrested
The 25 people arrested were brought before the public prosecutor as the investigation continues. Police said the operation targeted an international network with connections extending beyond Algeria.
The remaining suspects are reportedly still being sought.
The record seizure highlights the growing scale and international nature of drug trafficking networks operating across North Africa, with authorities continuing to target the movement of narcotics and diverted pharmaceutical products through the region.
Leave a comment