Home Sports Infantino drops FIFA World Cup investment plan after growing opposition
Sports

Infantino drops FIFA World Cup investment plan after growing opposition

Share
Share

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has officially abandoned the FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) proposal following widespread criticism from football stakeholders and member associations.

Gianni Infantino has confirmed that FIFA will no longer pursue its controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise project, which included plans to open part of the commercial value of the FIFA World Cup to outside investors.

In a statement, the FIFA president said the proposal had been designed to strengthen member associations, particularly those needing greater financial support.

« The FIFA Forward Enterprise project was intended to strengthen the foundations of our Member Associations and world football, especially in countries where support is needed most, » Infantino said.

He also stressed that the initiative was always intended to move forward only with the backing of a majority of FIFA’s member associations following broad consultation.

« The proposal is withdrawn »

After weeks of growing criticism from confederations and football officials, Infantino acknowledged that the project had become too divisive.

« After carefully listening to all views, it is clear that this proposal has created divisions which, regardless of the level of support, no longer serve its original purpose. »

« As a result, this proposal is withdrawn. »

Focus returns to football development

Infantino said FIFA’s priority remains unity and the continued development of football across the world.

He pledged to bring together confederations, member associations and other stakeholders in the coming weeks to continue working on new ways to support football development, particularly in countries that need greater investment.

The decision marks the end of one of FIFA’s most debated governance proposals in recent years.

Share

Leave a comment

Laisser un commentaire

Votre adresse e-mail ne sera pas publiée. Les champs obligatoires sont indiqués avec *

Don't Miss

FIFA Forward Enterprise: Infantino promises bigger investments for African football

FIFA President Gianni Infantino has unveiled the ambitions behind the proposed FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), a new commercial structure that could significantly increase...

WAFCON 2026: Morocco defeat Algeria to strengthen quarter-final ambitions

Morocco continued their impressive campaign at the Women’s Africa Cup of Nations 2026 with a 1-0 victory over Algeria on Thursday, July 30,...

Related Articles

Guinea confirms bid to host AFCON 2032 or 2036

Guinea is back in the race to host the Africa Cup of...

Cameroon’s african champions receive hero’s welcome in Yaoundé

Cameroon’s newly crowned African champions received a spectacular welcome in Yaoundé on...

WAFCON 2026: Cameroon win historic title as Malawi finish runners-up

Cameroon are the new champions of Africa after defeating Malawi 3-0 in...

WAFCON 2026: Cameroon stun hosts Morocco as Malawi reach historic final

The 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations has produced a stunning final...